Northstars, Players, Parents, Team Evaluations:
2014-2015 Team Tryouts will commence the first week of September, following the Labour day weekend.
Just like last season, we will be utilizing the (Traditional Style Tryout Camp÷ format to run our tryout process and make our team selections.
We have detailed some notes below to further explain and understand the process.
All information is available at this site: www.nstars.com. Including groupings, skate times, and team selections.
- Following Registration, each Athlete is randomly placed onto a tryout team - within their age category.
- During each Skate Session, Players are evaluated and skill set scored out of 10, by independent evaluators. Skill components include: Skating:forwards, backwards, Puck handling and management, including shooting and passing, directional skating with puck, and hockey sense.
- The total skill component section will make up 50% of the players overall score.
- Players will also be evaluated relative to game / play scenario, their ability to read and react to both offensive and defensive play. Also out of 10 points. This score accounts for the second 50% of the Athletes overall score.
- It is important to note that all evaluation scoring is made relative to the general skill set which is on the rink at that time. The process we use allows for each athlete to be scored relative to every athlete in the camp.
- The entire process takes approximately 2 weeks. Teams are selected from the camp based on comparable and compatible skill sets from the scoring system. The first team pulled from the tryout camp (following 3 skates) is the least developed skill set. Following 2 more skates, the next least developed skill set. The camp process continues on until their is one hockey team standing, the most developed skill set.
- Once Teams are formed from the camp, they are encouraged to engage in hockey team matters, such as hockey practices and dry land training.
- The forming of hockey teams is approved by the selection committee, and based on the overall point scoring system. Coaches of the two higher skill set teams can elect to make the last 3 picks to the team. The selection committee does reserve the right to move players prior to the finalization of the team (Hard Card÷.
- In order to run the tryout process, we do require volunteers. Currently we are short in a number of areas. Further details at (volunteers required`` on this site.
- The Northstars wish all Athletes many successes in the upcoming 2014-2015 Season.
Technical Director, Northstars Athletic Club.
Too see the player lists & Skate Times for Novice, Atom & Peewee.